*This blog is no longer active. For all these posts and more please visit my new blog Maggie Muggins Designs!*


Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sew Much Fun!

Yesterday I attended the Sew Expo in Puyallup - reported to be one of the largest sewing fairs in the nation. 4 hours of sewing delight. (That was how long it took us to walk through the vendors.) Fabrics, patterns, notions, tools, machines and everything else you can imagine. By the time I came home my mind was reeling with all the projects I wish I had time to do. Why do I never have enough time?

Dissapointments:
  • Where were the people my age? I mean, I may not be that young anymore, but most of the women there had at least a decade on me, most of them more like 2-3 decades. I mean, at the scrapbooking fair I went to a few months ago (where all these hip young woman with cool scrapbooking tees ran around in a craft-induced frenzy) I felt I belonged. Alright, maybe not the hip and cool part, but really - sewing is not just for old ladies.
  • Another thing was the lack of awesome fabrics. For all the 200+ vendors - I really have to admit I only found two booths with fabric I wanted. (Actually 3 - but I was not going to pay $18.95/yd for Amy Butler's fabric.)
Highlights:
  • I managed to purchase some new fabrics and I am excited to try sewing with them. Just one problem - I like the fabric so much and have so many ideas of what I could do with it that I'm worried if that whatever I end up making will be a huge dissapointment. I suppose I'm just going to have to take a deep breath, close my eyes and cut.
  • Laminated cotton. Yup, I'm not kidding. (Michael Miller Laminated Cotton) It's machine washable, it's cute patterns, and best of all, it's going to make me an awesome diaper bag! Anyhow, I'm not sure how it works, what it's all about or anything, but I love it. I'll have to post a picture once I actually do something with it.
  • Aside from all the ideas generated, and purchases made, the best part of my day was leaving the toddler at home with Dad and having my sister-in-law and one of my friends from church come with me. It's always so much more fun when the people going with you are as interested as you are! Thanks for coming with me! And thanks Handsome for watching our son. You rock!

No comments: