*This blog is no longer active. For all these posts and more please visit my new blog Maggie Muggins Designs!*


Monday, March 8, 2010

Home Preschool: Egg Week #2

This site is no longer in use. You can see all this information and new posts at my new blog Maggie Muggins Designs.

Wow - I survived my first week of home preschool! I'd like to say the first week went smoothly, but we never did get to the Humpty Dumpty video. I'll be doing that today with another activity.

As for the other activities, let me fill you in! My son loved the coloring page and can now find both big and little "E" on everything. This morning I was using E6000 to glue a waterfall image back onto a piece of his train track. He stood beside me shouting "Big E, Momma! Big E!" the whole time. I'm so proud of him.

Thursday we had one of his friends over to float the egg together. I got out 2 glasses and filled them 2/3 full with water. We asked them if the eggs would sink or float and they said sink. So we {gently} popped in the eggs and sure enough, they sank. Then we told them by adding salt we could make them float. This is where it got really fun. We started adding salt, but after adding quite a bit, I thought maybe it needed a stir. We got little sticks and the kids stirred. The eggs still didn't float. I had no idea that you needed SO MUCH SALT to get those eggs to float. By the way, you don't have to worry about water spilling over, salt makes the water more dense, so the water line does not rise at all. When the eggs finally started going up the kids got so excited. Then we let them poke at the eggs for a few minutes, popping them back down to watch them float back up! It was so cute.

By the way, I plan one short activity for each day, but you don't have to do it that way. You can combine some and only do 2 or 3 days each week. It just depends on your preference. So here are the activities planned for this week.

1. Interactive Letter G, Letter E and E Song from Starfall.com
2. Read "Emperor Lays An Egg" by Brenda Z. Guiberson
3. Read "Where Do Chicks Come From?" by Amy E. Sklansky
4. Green Eggs and Ham Video, Letter G Coloring Sheet

Have fun this week! My son has enjoyed our activities so far. This morning we did the first activity already and he kept asking for it again and again. He's got big G and little g down!

2 comments:

Brit said...

Maggie, these ideas rock! I think you should label these as school or something so they can be easily found for others. While I don't have kids now, I am sure those who have kids are interested in using these ideas and would be able to find them easier if labeled. Just a suggestion...

Susan Lemons said...

Love the egg experiment! Isn't it fun to see our children get so excited?
Check out my blog about homepreschool at www.susanlemons.wordpress.com
Blessings,
Susan