*This blog is no longer active. For all these posts and more please visit my new blog Maggie Muggins Designs!*


Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Trash to Treasure Tuesday

This site is no longer in use. You can see all this information and new posts at my new blog Maggie Muggins Designs.

Tuesday, for many in the blogging world, is Trash to Treasure Tuesday. I thought I'd join the band wagon today and share my most recent thrifting find and what I chose to do with it.

Before:

Old Sign ($4.99)
This sign was probably in good shape once upon a time. When I found it there were scratches and marks on it. It also had raffia tied on it to hang it. I already removed that. I also didn't have need for anything pink in my house. Maybe someday I will.
I'll confess I wouldn't normally pay this much for a sign. Seriously, that was more than I wanted to pay, but I haven't been able to find boards with the nice routed edges lately so I caved.


I decided it was the perfect size for a space in the nursery where a shelf had formerly been. It fell off the wall so we ended up with two large holes. We're not re-painting this room so I needed something to cover the holes.

Supplies and Instructions:

Left-Over Paint (Free)
I sanded the sign down and painted it with two coats of this beautiful green left-over from our home make-over.

Note: if you want to distress the sign do it right after the paint is dry. Then wipe it down with a damp cloth to get the dust off. After everything else is on, it's way more difficult to do this.

Iron-on Flocking ($1) (Yes you read that correctly.)
I cut pieces of the flocked flower to fit the lower left and upper right corner of the sign. Cutting the right size was important so I didn't iron extra petals onto the nice routed edges. That would have been a mess. I applied this once the paint was dry following the iron instructions on the back. I touched the paint with the iron in one spot and had to touch it up. I was really smart to apply this first so the lettering could be aligned well in the rest of the space. Note that it's really important to wait for this to cool before you pull the top back. Otherwise the flocking won't stick properly.

Stock Vinyl Lettering ($5.99)
I found this Vinyl at a local craft shop and decided that the price was better than paying for custom and shipping. Plus I could get this done on my time and not have to wait. Once the touch-up paint was dry I applied the lettering.


After ($12 Total):

I love how this turned out! The green looks fantastic and goes great with the Nursery. The price was great too. That's how much I would have paid for the Vinyl alone had I gone the custom route.


The flower and the it's texture gave the sign a very unique look. It's not your normal choice, I know, but I think it looks very modern and fun.


*This post is part of Trash to Treasure Tuesday over at Reinvented.

7 comments:

Brit said...

This is fabulous, you are so crafty! How is the nursery coming along.

Joan@anythinsggoeshere said...

Very clever. And it fixes those holed perfectly.

JobandBrittany said...

beautiful!! i want to try working with these letters!

Pam @ This Humble House said...

That is just brilliant! I never knew there was such a thing as iron-on flocking! I will have to head over to HL and check it out! I want to make my own sign with our family name. It really came out nice, you should be very proud!

Kara said...

Wow, I love how it turned out! I think it is a great idea to use the flocking. The texture looks great!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE it! The flocking is such a creative touch. Thanks for linking up to Trash to Treasure Tuesday!

Anny said...

Clever, I never would have thought of iron ons for wood